The theme of the Third Annual Executive Branch Review Conference, what role does and should Congress play vis-a-vis the administrative state, will be developed in a series of addresses, debates and panel discussions. Experts will discuss incentives for Congressional action and inaction, reducing delegation from Congress to the agencies through more precise statutory language, the tools of Congressional oversight, and more. The conference will also include breakout sessions by selected practice groups to provide detailed discussion about executive branch activities in particular areas of the law.
Hon. Mitch McConnell
Senate Majority Leader
Welcome & Opening Address - Audio/Video
9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
- Hon. Mitch McConnell, U.S. Senate, Majority Leader
9:40 – 11:10 a.m.
The Telecommunications Act: Can it Rein in the FCC? - Audio/Video
- Mr. Jonathan Adelstein, President & CEO, PCIA - The Wireless Infrastructure Association
- Ms. Kelly Cole, National Association of Broadcasters
- Ms. Grace Koh, U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Mr. David B. Quinalty, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Moderator: Mr. Scott Belcher, Telecommunications Industry Association
The Clean Power Plan: A Bridge too Far? - Audio/Video
- Mr. David Doniger, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Mr. Mark W. DeLaquil, Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Mr. Robert M. Sussman, Sussman & Associates
- Mr. Misha Tseytlin, West Virginia Attorney General's Office
- Moderator: Ms. Elana Schor, Politico
Costs and Benefits vs. Smoke and Mirrors - Audio/Video
- Hon. C. Boyden Gray, Boyden Gray & Associates
- Mr. Michael A. Livermore, University of Virginia School of Law
- Mr. Richard D. Morgenstern, Resources for the Future
- Hon. Eugene Scalia, Gibson Dunn and Crutcher
- Moderator: Hon. Susan E. Dudley, The George Washington University
Plenary Panel: Should Federal Law Enjoy a Presumption of Constitutionality? - Audio/Video
11:20 – 12:20 p.m.
- Hon. David M. McIntosh, Club for Growth
- Mr. Clark Neily, Institute for Justice
- Mr. M. Edward Whelan III, Ethics and Public Policy Center
- Moderator: Hon. Thomas B. Griffith, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Luncheon Panel: The Incentives behind Congressional Delegation - Audio/Video
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Prof. Jack M. Beermann, Boston University School of Law
- Prof. Gillian E. Metzger, Columbia Law School
- Prof. Neomi J. Rao, George Mason University School of Law
- Moderator: Mr. Dean A. Reuter, The Federalist Society
Plenary Panel: Congressional Oversight - Audio/Video
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Prof. Jonathan H. Adler, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Mr. Michael D. Bopp, Gibson Dunn and Crutcher
- Prof. Sally Katzen, New York University School of Law
- Mr. Adam J. White, Boyden Gray & Associates
- Moderator: Hon. Todd F. Gaziano, Pacific Legal Foundation