The Fort Worth Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society invites you to join us for the fourth annual Texas Chapters Conference. This year's conference will be headlined by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who will give the Inaugural Gregory S. Coleman Memorial Lecture. Panel discussions will address Justice Gorsuch's first year on the Supreme Court, Criminal Justice Reforms, and Religious Liberty issues under the current administration.
Save the Date!
September 7-8, 2018
2018 Annual Texas Chapters Conference
Fort Worth, Texas
Inaugural Gregory S. Coleman Memorial Lecture:
Associate Justice Clarence Thomas
Supreme Court of the United States
Gregory S. Coleman Memorial Lecture Series
On November 23, 2010, the Lone Star State lost one of its brightest appellate stars: Gregory S. Coleman, the first Solicitor General of the State of Texas, founding partner of Yetter Coleman LLP, distinguished Supreme Court advocate, honors graduate of Texas A&M University (B.S., M.B.A.) and the University of Texas Law School (J.D.), and former law clerk to Fifth Circuit Judge Edith Jones and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
At the age of 47 and at the height of his professional and personal life, Mr. Coleman died in an airplane crash that also claimed the lives of his mother-in-law Charlene Miller and brother-in-law James Black. Tragically, Mr. Coleman was traveling from Texas to Florida to attend a Thanksgiving celebration with the people who mattered most to him and were at the center of his life, love, and devotion: his wife Stephanie and his three sons Chase, Austin, and Reid.
On September 8, 2018, the Texas Chapters of the Federalist Society will inaugurate the Gregory S. Coleman Memorial Lecture Series to honor the life, memory, and legacy of Texas’s first Solicitor General. Justice Clarence Thomas has graciously agreed to serve as the first Lecturer in this series – but he will not be the last. Each year, the Federalist Society will remember Gregory S. Coleman at its annual Texas Chapters Conference by selecting and presenting a lecturer who exemplifies his commitment to the constitution, the rule of law, and public service.
Times subject to change.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2018
Opening Reception - National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame
5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2018 - Fort Worth Convention Center
Registration and Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Welcome / Introduction / Invocation
9:00 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
- Diane Kozub, President, Fort Worth Lawyers Chapter
- Matthew Kacsmaryk, Vice President and Programs Director, Fort Worth Lawyers Chapter
- Bishop Michael F. Olson, Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Panel One: Supreme Court Review: Justice Gorsuch at Year One
9:10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Carrie Severino, Chief Counsel and Policy Director, Judicial Crisis Network
- Brantley Starr, Deputy First Assistant Attorney General, Texas Attorney General’s Office
- Aaron Streett, Chairman, Supreme Court and Constitutional Law Practice; Partner, Baker Botts LLP
- David O. Taylor, Co-Director, Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation; Associate Professor, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
- Moderator: Judge James C. Ho, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Panel Two: Criminal Justice Review: Trump, Sessions, and the States
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Introduction: Erin Nealy Cox, U.S. Attorney, Northern District of Texas
- Stephen Fahey, Chief, Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas
- Wes Hendrix, Chief, Appellate Division, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas
- Marc Levin, Vice President of Criminal Justice Policy, Texas Public Policy Foundation and Right on Crime
- John Malcolm, Vice President, Institute for Constitutional Government; Director, Meese Center for Legal & Judicial Studies; Senior Legal Fellow, The Heritage Foundation
- Moderator: Judge Reed O’Connor, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Texas
Lunch: Gregory S. Coleman Memorial Lecture – Justice Clarence Thomas
12:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
- Introduction – Judge Edith H. Jones, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Keynote – Justice Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court of the United States
- Awards – April L. Farris, Partner, Yetter Coleman LLP
Panel Three: Religious Liberty and Conscience Rights in the Trump Era
2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Justin Butterfield, Conscience and Religious Freedom Division, Health and Human Services
- Eric Rassbach, Deputy General Counsel, Becket
- Kelly Shackelford, President and CEO, First Liberty Institute
- Prof. Nelson Tebbe, Cornell Law School; Attorney, ACLU (Former)
- Moderator: Judge Don R. Willett, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Closing: Reception Recognizing the Newly Confirmed Fifth Circuit Judges
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Omni Fort Worth, Ballroom
- Judge Kyle Duncan - U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Judge James C. Ho - U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Judge Don R. Willett - U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit