Director of Human Resources
About The Federalist Society
The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies is a group of conservatives and libertarians interested in the current state of the legal order. It is founded on the principles that the state exists to preserve freedom, that the separation of governmental powers is central to our Constitution, and that it is emphatically the province and duty of the judiciary to say what the law is, not what it should be. The Society seeks both to promote an awareness of these principles and to further their application through its activities.
About the Opening
As a new position within the Federalist Society, the Director will be the first dedicated human resources professional to serve their 40+ employees. The Director will help drive the identification, evaluation, and selection of talent for open positions as well as oversee all orientation, training, performance evaluations, and payroll.
Hiring, Onboarding, and Performance Reviews
- Working with supervisors to assess their talent needs; helping craft job descriptions and publicize job openings
- Helping with the Federalist Society’s intern selection process
- Overseeing annual review process
- Working with management to handle sensitive HR issues, ensuring that the organization follows all legal requirements and professional expectations
- Overseeing the onboarding process; providing new employees with the Federalist Society policies and procedures manual; answering relevant questions
- Developing and implementing new employee orientation processes, in coordination with management and supervisors
- Overseeing and performing basic staff training
Payroll and Logistics
- Overseeing payroll; ensuring new employees are added and departing employees are removed in a timely manner
- Updating metro, health, and retirement benefits
- Processing W-4s
- Ordering office furniture and other key items for the organization as needed
- Helping with the logistics of acquiring and organizing additional office space
- Assisting with the execution of the organization’s record retention policy
- Tracking employees’ days off
- Managing outside vendors as needed
- Five or more years of experience in human resources
- A willingness to learn/embrace the Federalist Society‘s culture and ensure cultural consistency in all HR functions
- Ability to quickly gain understanding of the relevant rules and regulations with which the Society is required to comply; familiarity with laws and policies regarding interviewing, hiring, and HR issues
- Customer service mindset
- Discretion; demonstrated ability to professionally handle sensitive/confidential information
- Understanding of and alignment with The Federalist Society’s mission
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position/the mission of The Federalist Society and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.